Gift giving is not a specialty of mine. I start out in November with all these lofty dreams of elaborate homemade fare that will wow the troops. But by mid December, the Grinch has taken over my body and I’m willing to shell out big bucks for some random store bought gift so I can just cross everyone off the gift list and relax.
Thankfully, I found this simple gift idea before I blew our budget in a fit of laziness! The classic Sharpie gift mug!
This post contains affiliate links that help support my family. Read more about that here.
The supply list is simple:
- A Mug
- Oil-Based Sharpies (regular markers won’t last!)
- Large Alphabet Stickers
And the technique is just plain fun:
- Place the stickers on the mug. You could do an initial, a word, or a design.
- Go dot crazy. Concentrate the dots nearest the stickers so that there’s a definite line when the sticker is removed.
- Let dry. One hour should be more than enough.
- Slowly and carefully remove the stickers.
- Bake the mugs at 350 for 30 and let cool in the oven.
- Give it as a sweet and thoughtful gift or keep it for yourself.
(After baking, it should be top-rack dishwasher safe, though I haven’t tested it out yet.)
There are so many possibilities with this technique! Pretty much every solid surface in my house is in danger of being “Sharpied”. I also love that it’s simple enough for kids to participate in the making of this gift. Loopy is only three, so I wasn’t foolish enough to let him have a permanent marker, but give it a year or two!
Want to follow me on the quests for the perfect, simple, DIY gift? I’ve got the perfect Pinterest board for you!
Follow Julie: My Mundane and Miraculous Life’s board Gifts and Crafts on Pinterest.
Hi Julie, love your blog and your mug !
Aw! Thanks Clare!
I have always wanted to try this one. Comes out so awesome!