My name is Julie and I’m a carboholic.
It’s bad, it’s really bad.
Miraculously, my metabolism has hidden this fact from the world, but I know it won’t last.
I become especially concerned about my eating habits during pregnancy. If you’ve been through the blessed nine months, your healthcare practitioner surely emphasized the need to consume a TON of protein, (like up 80-100 grams, eek!).
I’m not a big meat-eater, so I tend to shy away from a big plate of steak, but these ideas for high protein snacks for pregnancy help me keep my carb addiction in check.
- Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels: Peanut Butter ANYTHING really! Add PB to your fruit of choice as well.
- Greek Yogurt: I jumped on the Greek Yogurt bandwagon a while ago and don’t really have plans to jump off. Plain, it tastes just like sour cream so I put it on my nachos, mix it into casseroles, whatever. With some fruit and honey, it’s a filling, sweet snack!
- Cashews, and other Nuts: Nuts are great sources of protein and they’re sure to be a yummy one that satisfies your taste buds!
- String Cheese: Remember how fun it was to pull the little strands on string cheese as a kid? Welp, give it another go, cuz these little guys are FULL of protein!
- Hummus: Made from chickpeas, this is a delicious dip for all sorts of things like veggies and pita chips!
- Beans: They’re a great non-meat way to pack in the protein. Add beans to all sorts of recipes, even brownies! (Yes, brownies.)
- Brown Rice/Whole Grain Rice: I was so please when I found out brown rice is a decent source of protein! Yea, for more Asian food!
- Quinoa: Hard to say, easy to eat! This grain is delightful and can be dressed up a million different ways!
So there you have it. When your midwife hits you with the cold truth that your organic chocolate cereal isn’t exactly a health food, you have some high protein alternatives to turn to!
Interested in what you should include on your baby registry if you’re a natural minded mama? Check these out!
(My son is HERE! Check out our birth story and the wild health ride we’ve had since then!)
Want to learn about the simple life with us? Subscribe to get an email with each new post. And you’ll get some great free printables as a thank you!