Today, I wanted to share with you my go-to side dish that only takes four ingredients.
Do you ever have a night where you’re making something for dinner that you’re not too thrilled about? Or maybe you don’t think there’ll be enough to go around (gosh kids eat a lot!)?
Well, when this happens to me, I bust out this nifty little recipe for french bread.
Like with yeast and kneading and rising?
I feel ya. In the past, I’ve always past over any recipe containing yeast because I was convinced I didn’t have the skills to carry it out.
This recipe is different.
No bread machine needed!
This post contains affiliate links that help support my family. Read more about that here.
1 1/2 cups warm water (like baby bath water)
UPDATE: I’ve started adding garlic powder to the dough and sprinkling the top with oregano and some small pieces of butter to melt all over during the baking. Oh. My. Word. Also, be sure to check out the cookbook at the end of this post that will TOTALLY simplify your life.
1. Combine the water, honey, salt and yeast in a glass bowl. Let sit for 5-10 mins. until there’s some bubbling, foam stuff on the top.
2. Next, add a bunch of flour. I used just regular white organic flour. You want your dough to be sticking to itself, not your fingers. So, keep adding flour and keep kneading until that happens.
4. After 20 mins., cut slits in the top and bake for 16-20 mins.
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoons Active Dry Yeast
- 3½ - 4½ cups flour
- Combine water, honey, salt and yeast. Let sit for 5-10 mins until there is a foam on top.
- Knead in flour until no longer sticky.
- Cover with a towel and let it sit for 20 mins. while preheating the oven at 400*
- Cut slits in the top and bake for 15-20 mins.
Adapted from BS Recipes.
This stuff is crazy good and filling. I’ve made it a ton of times and have yet to mess up despite my carelessness.
Can’t you just envision the butter melting all over this goodness?Want to make meal times simple? I finally found a solution to the chaos. With these “Chicken Dump” and “Beef Dump” cookbooks, you can make TEN meals in just an hour and they’re ready to be dumped right into the crockpot when ever you need them! And this bread recipe would pair PERFECTLY!
My buddy Sharla has thought of it all! Lots of variety, grocery lists, cute printable labels, even adaptations to all of the recipes to make them gluten free! If you buy both cookbooks together, they’re a total of $15! Click here to view more details. Streamline your meal planning and spend more time enjoying your family!
In the mood for soup to go with this delectable bread? I made a list of the best of the best soup recipes out there for ya!
If you’re looking for more recipes to replace staple ingredients in your home, you should follow my Pinterest board.
Want more recipes, learning activities and encouragement in your inbox? Sign up and you won’t miss a post!